SEGA related or inspired indie games worth checking out

Chris

SEGA related or inspired indie games worth checking out

Postby Chris » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:54 pm

It seems like every day a new SEGA related or inspired indie game is released on Steam, Kickstarter or some other site, so I thought it'd be good to have a thread where we can share some of our experiences with some of these games worth checking out.

The TakeOver
Developer: Pelikan13
Genre: Beat 'em up
Release Date: Early 2017 (currently in Early Access)
Platform: Steam
Price: $6.99
Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/418620

ImageImageImage

About: The TakeOver is at heart and old school beat 'em up inspired by games like Final Fight and Streets of Rage. Although the gameplay is based on these classic games it offers an extended combo system, fast gameplay and modern visuals. Using a combination of full 3D backgrounds and high definition pre rendered sprites the game is designed with Full HD in mind.

My thoughts: TBD
Chris Powell
Editor-in-chief, Mega Visions

VirtuaDrew

Re: SEGA related or inspired indie games worth checking out

Postby VirtuaDrew » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:46 pm

Played the demo earlier this year. Cool concept, and it worked pretty well. However, this is the guy who kickstarted 90s Arcade Racer: That game that was supposed to come out almost three years ago. Apparently, he had been working on this game, while somehow 90s Arcade Racer stunted in development hell. I realize it's not fair to judge without the full story, and the guy is obviously a talented game designer. But I know I would be pretty upset if I had backed 90s Arcade Racer seen nothing for years, then learned the developer was busy making another game.

Kaizarus

Postby Kaizarus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:17 pm

Posting an oldie but a goodie:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248310/

Would be awfully surprised if someone here hasn't heard of this already; but a great action based platformer, looks good, sounds good, plays great. A love letter to the 16-bit era. Draws a good few comparisons with the old Sonics.

RaceProUK

Postby RaceProUK » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:55 pm

Kaizarus wrote:Would be awfully surprised if someone here hasn't heard of this already; but a great action based platformer, looks good, sounds good, plays great.

And developed by a company that takes its fans for granted and ignores them in favour of a select crowd at Sega Retro, and has a community manager with all the grace and tact of a nuclear warhead.

And it's not just me who thinks that.

Edit: It may seem from the above that I'm not fan of the game. However, as you can see here, that's not the case. In fact, it is because of how much I like the game that I am so disappointed in how the company treats its fans.

Kaizarus

Postby Kaizarus » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:30 pm

RaceProUK wrote:
Kaizarus wrote:Would be awfully surprised if someone here hasn't heard of this already; but a great action based platformer, looks good, sounds good, plays great.

And developed by a company that takes its fans for granted and ignores them in favour of a select crowd at Sega Retro, and has a community manager with all the grace and tact of a nuclear warhead.

And it's not just me who thinks that.

Edit: It may seem from the above that I'm not fan of the game. However, as you can see here, that's not the case. In fact, it is because of how much I like the game that I am so disappointed in how the company treats its fans.

Hadn't paid it any attention if I'm honest, but that doesn't make for good reading. As much as developers can be a**holes it doesn't make me any less receptive or take away from the experience. Will however make me a little more conscious over my purchase of the sequel when released.