Share you experiences introducing your children to videogames

Screenager

Share you experiences introducing your children to videogames

Postby Screenager » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:50 am

I attempted to introduce my son to the Master System version of Sonic the Hedhog a few months ago and he was having none of it. In fact, I'm ashamed to say, he was actually a more receptive to the original Mario Bros.

Just recently, though, he's taken a shine to watching me play Overwatch. He'll sometimes ask to "watch Overwatch", and although he doesn't really show much interest in playing it it, he loves to choose a hero for me. I replace their names with a simple noun, calling Winston 'monkey', Pharah 'rocket' and Reaper 'skeleton' for example, and ask him to tell me which one he wants me to be. I also get a round of applause and/or a high-five if my team wins,

Anyone else have any heart-meltingingly cute tales of introducing their progeny to games? Share away.
- Dan

Proud purveyor of videogame-related fact, fiction and everything in-between. Mega Visions staffer, Sonic nostalgic and RTS buff. Comitted StarCraft II fanboy.

I am the voice of the eclipse.

Niffy80

Re: Share you experiences introducing your children to videogames

Postby Niffy80 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:30 pm

My 4 and 5 year old girls struggle with different controllers but the Mega Drive arcade stick works well. Although I have so many games I am careful which to let them play as they loose interest so quick and I don't want to push games o them. To be honest most retro games are too hard for them to mess around with and the favourite so far has been "The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction" on the gamecube which they like the controller and free roaming – my wife isn't so happy about the destruction side but it is really fun!

Chris

Re: Share you experiences introducing your children to videogames

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:03 pm

I remember trying to introduce video games to my daughters years ago. This was around the time the Wii was released, but I thought the games might have been too advanced for them at the time. I started them off on some NES and Genesis games geared to girls, like a Barbie and My Little Pony game.

Turns out, they didn't like them at all. I probably picked bad games and should have went with the classics, but then they started showing interest in the Wii, and I bought them Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, and they picked it up really quickly, and we all became hooked on it. We'd play the mini games for hours, and then I eventually bought them a My Petz game, which was kinda the predecessor to the Dogs and Cats games that Nintendo developed.
Chris Powell
Editor-in-chief, Mega Visions